So I may impart the same wisdom my young sister once imparted to me:
Let the music flow!
And we should take heed! Why? Because my sister knows music-- at least how to enjoy and… "commune" with it, for lack of a better word. Music is a major part of her life. She is progressively getting the hang of slapping on the bass guitar. It's odd to see her without her headphones. Every time I pass her bedroom, there's an entirely different genre emanating from her cherished, high-def amplifier. From Bluegrass to Indian pop, my sister freely partakes of what the world has to offer musically. She knows her stuff.
One day, while I was beating her at a board game 😉…
We decided to take turns sharing our personal song collections through the AUX cord, except I was noticeably hesitant to let her listen to just anything my phone wanted to play next. I would take so long to choose a suitable song that I was effectively slowing the pace of the game and further annoying my sister. And that's when she said it:
(You gotta) Let the music flow!
That seemed to do the trick.
What she was actually saying was that I could share with her without inhibitions. Even if my song was one she disliked, she would respect my interests. That evening we bobbed our heads to a wide array of genres. And, you know what? I think we both discovered some great tunes that day.
But there's more meaning to this phrase.
Her words came to me this morning at my desk, as I was decluttering my email and pondering what subject to write on. I wanted to listen to music, but the thought of taking time to carefully choose or construct a playlist that had the power to keep me focused on my work made me lose enthusiasm for it. Then it came to me. Everybody now…
Let the music flow!
And as I continued my tasks to a unique compilation of ABBA, Johann Strauss II and Taylor Swift, I realized my mood hadn't changed with the changing of the songs. Rather the variety compelled me to enjoy them more.
I control my mood; the music does not control me.
Try new things, my discerning readers! Be spontaneous! A change in perspective is just around the corner waiting for you. Press play, and let the music flow! ♢
(P.S. I acknowledge the United States is gripped in an internal struggle right now to make sure the stories and experiences of Black people/people with melanin are being heard. These people we are speaking up for are my people. I thank you for continuing to educate yourselves and your loved ones, and for allowing compassion into your hearts. #BlackLivesMatter)
No comments:
Post a Comment